Veggie Bean Burgers
Updated: Jan 22, 2021
I love this veggie bean burger, it has such an amazing, savoury taste and a delicious seasoned flavour, that even a meat lover will enjoy it until the end. Either if it's a party or a special occasion, this burger it's the best idea to enjoy from time to time.
You can make it spicy, top it with your favourite toppings, cheese and veggies, or serve it next to some crispy oven baked potatoes. I decided to go on with the guacamole, because of the balanced, fresh and creaminess taste of it.
You can also make double portion of this recipe and keep some in the freezer for the time the cravings strike. This way you can save a lot of time. You just have to wrap each burger patties in a plastic wrap and place them in a small bag in the freezer.
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 20 min
Total time: 40 min
Ingredients for 6 buns:
- 1 can/400g red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
-1/2 red onion, finely chopped
-1 spring onion, finely chopped
-1 red pepper, finely chopped
-4-5 mushrooms, finely chopped
-150g quick oats
-1 garlic clove, finely chopped
-3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
-1 tsp ground cumin
-1 tsp hot or normal paprika
-salt and pepper, to taste
-1 egg, beaten
-lettuce, cheese and guacamole to serve
- 6 burger buns
1. In a frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil, over medium heat. Add the onions, red pepper and mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic, parsley, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes, until all the liquid has evaporated. Transfer to a bowl and set aside, let it cool.
2. Rinse and drain the beans, place them in a food processor or mash with a fork and add the cooked veggies from the bowl and the oats, blend or mix together, until almost smooth. It's better if you refrigerate the mix for 30 minutes, so that the patties won't break while cooking. You can prepare the guacamole, while the patties are cooling. For the guacamole recipe click here.
3. Now you divide the mixture into 6 flat round patties, dip them into the egg , coat in breadcrumbs and cook in a frying pan, with 2 tablespoons of oil to a medium heat, for 5 minutes on each side or until in gets to the preferred crispiness.
4. Cut the bun in half, add the lettuce, then the burger patties topped with some cheese, a good dollop of guacamole and a few pieces of red onion. You can also enjoy with some oven baked potatoes.
- For an oil-free burger, bake the patties in the oven, for about 30 minutes, or on the grill.
- For saving some time, you can make a double portion of this recipe and keep some in the freezer for the time you want to make it. You just need to take them out of the freezer few hours earlier, dip the patties into an egg and breadcrumbs and fry.
- You don't have burger buns?! No problem, you can make it with bread too! You just need to toast the bread a little bit in the over, with a little bit of butter.
- You can oven bake some potatoes while preparing the veggie patties, to save some time.
" Eat clean to stay fit, have a burger to stay sane."