Updated: Jun 13, 2020
I know summer is already here but why not keep this beautiful spring as much as possible alive and celebrate it with this beautiful and tasty risotto primavera dish. Made with some fresh green vegetables and herbs this dish shows off the flavours and textures of the young spring.
Rice is known by cultures throughout the world, but the risotto is known as Italy's favourite rice dish, made with plump, short-grain rice that releases its starch on cooking giving the creamy result. It works so well with vegetables - you must try this risotto with fresh spring vegetables, it's delicious!
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min
Total time: 30 min
What you need
200g risotto rice
100ml white wine
150g green peas
150g asparagus spears
500 ml hot vegetable stock
5 mint leaves
4 basil leaves
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 spring onion, chopped
salt and pepper
What you do
1. Trim the woody ends of the asparagus and throw them away and cut the rest of the asparagus into small pieces and set aside with the tips.
2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan and fry the onions and garlic for 3 minutes until they are soft but not brown. Add the rice and mix to coat in butter with 2 tbsp of olive oil. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes. Add the wine and simmer until the amount is reduced by half.
3. Gradually add the hot stock, a ladleful at a time. Cook for 10 minutes stirring constantly and add more liquid as the rice absorbs each addition. Don't let the rice get dry!
4. After 10 minutes add the asparagus, without the tips and the green peas. Cook for another 10 minutes, stirring constantly and adding the left stock gradually.
5. 2 minutes before all the liquid is absorbed and the rice gets creamy, add the asparagus tips, chopped mint and basil. Stir once, add salt and pepper, then take off the heat, cover and leave to rest for a few minutes. Top with some parmesan and serve!
" No one is born a great cook, one learns by doing. "
#risotto #risottoasparagus #asparagusrecipe #greens #vegetables #healthyrecipes #eatyourgreens #stayhealthy #foodmatters #asparagus #recipes #riceandveggies #lunchrecipes #homecooked #homemade #deliciousmeals