Updated: Dec 5, 2022
Best cinnamon rolls are made in your kitchen! Served warm, from your oven, when they are just fluffy, perfect and delicious! This is the only recipe you'll ever need!
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min
Additional time: 30 min
Total time: ~60 min
What you need
For the dough:
- 300ml warm milk
- 40g/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 7g instant dry yeast
- 70g melted butter
- 1 egg
- 500g all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
For the filling:
- 50g melted butter
- 140g brown sugar
- 3-4 tsp cinnamon
For the frosting:
- 70g cream cheese
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
What you do
Into a large mixing bowl, add the warm milk, the sugar and the yeast. Mix it well and leave it aside for about 10 mins.
After 10 mins, add the melted butter (make sure it's not too hot) and the egg and mix a little bit with a fork.
Now slowly add the flour and the salt to the bowl and start the mixer to low speed, if using the stand mixer, if making by hand, mix with a wooden spoon until forms a dough that is tacky to the touch, but not too sticky.
Now turn up the mixer speed a little bit to allow the mixer to knead the dough for about 3 minutes. If you don't have the mixer, you should pull away the dough from the sides of the bowl and knead the dough for about 3 minutes, on a floured work surface
Cover the bowl with a towel and place it somewhere warm. I like to used the oven on the lowest temperature to help the dough rise very quickly, usually around 30 minutes.
Grease a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish with butter.
7. When the dough has been raised by double, turn it onto a work surface that's been lightly greased with vegetable oil. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough evenly until you form a rectangle.
8. Brush the dough with the melted butter.
9. In another bowl, combine the brown sugar with the cinnamon and spread the mixture evenly over the dough.
10. Now roll up the dough from the long side until you have one long roll. Cut the roll in half, then in half again and then each section into 3 pieces, and now you should have 12 cinnamon rolls.
11. Place them in the greased baking dish and place them in the cold oven and set the oven to 170°C for about 20 minutes. The cinnamon rolls will rise a second time in the oven while is warming up.
12. The cinnamon buns should turn into a golden brown colour, if not you might need to cook them for 2-3 more minutes.
For the frosting:
While the cinnamon buns are in the oven you can mix the cream cheese with the powdered sugar, lemon juice and the vanilla extract, in a bowl and set aside.
Remove the baking dish from the oven and let it cool for about 10 minutes and then add frosting over the warm buns and serve!
" LOVE at first BITE! "
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DESSERT board!
Follow COOK WITH GABI on Pinterest